Evil Dead: The Game features both in-game upgrades for each match and a progression system for characters. You can earn Character XP while playing matchmade matches that can be used towards permanent upgrades.
Match to Match Progression
In each match, there are things to upgrade for Survivors and Demons. As a survivor, you’ll be able to invest in various things to help you survive, such as health, stamina, and fear. Demons won’t be sitting out and will be able to make their units stronger and invest in infernal energy and demon vision.
While in a match, you will find bottles of Pink F to upgrade your statistics during the match. Pink F can be found by looting Supply Crates scattered around the map. Additionally, Supply Crates will be awarded after collecting The Lost Pages and Kandarian Dagger.
Here are stats that you can upgrade as a Survivor during the match:
- Melee - Upgrading your Melee stat will increase your melee damage and attack speed.
- Ranged - Upgrading the Ranged stat will increase your ranged damage and reduce reload speed.
- Health - Upgrading Health will… increase your character's maximum Health. Groovy!
- Fear - Upgrading Fear will make you less susceptible to fear. The more fear you have, the more vulnerable you are to the demon's abilities (marked on the map, able to be possessed).
- Stamina - Upgrading Stamina will increase your Stamina level, so you’ll be more agile during the match.
- Shield - Upgrading Shield will increase your Shield Bars, and you’ll be able to use more Amulets simultaneously.
Demons have their progression that works a bit differently. You will need to gain Infernal Upgrade Points to upgrade your match skills. To earn these points, you need to raise your Threat Level. Various actions raise Threat Level: possession, collecting Infernal Orbs, Survivors activating traps, inflicting damage to Survivors, placing portals or scare traps, and summoning bosses.
Here are skills that you can upgrade as a Demon during the match:
- Infernal Energy - Infernal Energy is consumed by performing any demonic action, such as possession, placing portals, or setting traps. Infernal Energy is collected from Infernal Orbs scattered in the world.
- Possession - The ability to possess and control any Evil Tree, Vehicle, Demon Spawn, Deadite, or Survivor.
- Portal: Basic - As the demon, one of your most useful skills is placing portals to spawn your minions. The power and number of these evil units depend on upgrades you apply during the match.
- Portal: Elite - Elite units are more powerful than basic ones, but the Infernal Energy cost to place these portals is higher.
- Boss - This ability summons the most powerful unit at your disposal. As soon as a boss spawns, you will automatically possess it.
- Demon Vision - Your Demon Vision will detect the Survivor's position on the map, and their physical outline will become visible for a short time.
- Traps - Traps can be set to scare, damage, and steal items from Survivors.
After each match, you’ll see the Scoreboard, showing you how much Character XP you’ve earned. Points will be awarded for various actions during the match, such as units killed, damage dealt, teammates revived, and others. For the Demon, there are other actions such as Infernal Energy collected, possessions, scares, and others.
Please note that playing Solo and Private Matches will not award you Character XP.
Permanent Upgrades can be found in the Collection menu. Each Character and Demon has a unique skill tree that will help Characters and Demons achieve their goals. You’ll be able to level up your Characters to Level 25 and Demons to Level 45 and build them as you’d like. There are more Skills than Levels, so you’ll need to consider your play style and assign Points accordingly. Don’t worry; if you get tired of playing the current build, you can reset skill points and reassign them once again.