World War Z’s co-op campaign focuses on unique survivor stories and missions around the globe. Use traps, barriers, and the environment strategically to stay alive while unleashing a storm of firepower with a variety of weapons on the unrelenting hordes of the undead. World War Z's campaign unfolds in different stories:
- New York: As US Army helicopters lead the infected swarms out of Manhattan towards a massive kill zone in the Bronx, four-stranded New Yorkers attempt a risky escape through the subway to an evacuation center on the Hudson River.
- Jerusalem: A group of survivors receives a distress call from a man linked to a classified superweapon. They embark on a journey through the Holy City and across the Judean desert to a military bunker that may hold the key to survival.
- Moscow: Four desperate survivors on the outskirts of infected Moscow are forced to enter the city in search of food. Their scavenging mission becomes a race to liberate the Russian capital when they witness a helicopter crash.
- Tokyo: Quickly responding to the global outbreak, Japan evacuates the country. A volunteer search and rescue team must battle the hordes to protect the civilian population as they retreat to Tokyo harbor.
- Marseille: As survivor camps along the southern coast of Europe drop off the grid one by one, a community holed up in a medieval French fortress must prepare to defend themselves against an unprecedented mega-swarm.
- Rome: Rome has settled into the harsh realities of post-outbreak life. Experienced and highly coordinated squads work in unison to hold back the dead, while a talented team of engineers has devised a radical scheme to reclaim their city.
- Kamchatka: As the relentless Russian winter sets in across the Kamchatka peninsula, Team Four embark on a desperate mission to prevent what's left of the Japanese refugee settlement from freezing to death.
Multiplayer (PvP modes)
- Swarm Domination: Capture zones to earn points and win a team victory.
- King of the Hill: Capture a single hill, then control it to earn victory points.
- Swarm Deathmatch: Two teams go head to head in a bitter fight.
- Scavenge Raid: Collect resources scattered around the map or take them from fallen enemies to earn points for a team victory.
- Vaccine Hunt: Pick up a vaccine and hold it to earn victory points for your team.
Test your survival skills in this unique mode that strips it down to the basics: your team versus the swarm. The longer you survive - the bigger the rewards. Use earned resources to purchase supplies and defenses and stay as long as possible.
Challenge Modes include Daily and Weekly challenges for players to overcome. Every week there is a new set of Mutators on an Episode, which will award players with Challenge Coins.
- Daily Challenge (Normal) - 400 Supplies.
- Daily Challenge (Hard) - 550 Supplies + 10 Challenge Coins.
- Weekly Challenge (Normal) - 350 Supplies + 100 Challenge Coins.
- Weekly Challenge (Hard) - 550 Supplies + 250 Challenge Coins (or 350 Challenge Coins, if Normal was not completed previously).
Additionally, you'll earn rewards for completing all three daily challenges:
- Completing 3 Normal Daily Challenges grants additional 1000 Supplies + 15 Challenge coins.
- Completing 3 Hard Daily Challenges grants additional 1000 Supplies + 40 Challenge coins.
Additionally, two Challenges have various objectives to be completed daily. Completing these Challenges will award you Supplies.